Starting a Bucket garden

Welcome back!  I decided to do another bucket garden this year.  The last time I did this was in 2016 for a project. 

Here's what I wrote: Start A Bucket Garden

For this project, 100% of the buckets used are recycled.  Some of the buckets were from previous projects and the yellow ones once held fresh kitty litter.  The white buckets are food grade.  The goal of this project to spend as little as possible and still grow food.

IF you are interested in starting this project and you are going to BUY buckets, I would suggest purchasing the white Food Grade buckets at your local hardware store.

**PLEASE read: We understand that people have concerns about growing in plastic or the use of plastic.  Food Grade buckets are available.  Our goal for this project is help people grow no matter their space or financial circumstance** 


Ready to get started???
First thing to do is drill holes in your bucket.  THIS bucket was a "throw away" so it's being recycled instead into my garden.  Every single bucket I use is recycled.



Next we need organic matter and soil to fill the buckets.  I add aged horse manure first, then a personal mix of soil and homemade compost.  My mix includes leftover garden soil, leftover perlite and coconut coir.



I had leftover pieces of particle board sitting around in the garage so I used them as my base.  This should keep the  weeds from growing up in between the buckets and give me a flatter surface for my garden.






This is just the first round of buckets.  I need to mix up another batch of soil, pull out a few more pieces of board and bring out the rest of my buckets.  I'm using an area close to the fence because it has shade in the morning and there's plenty of room to expand.  

Thanks again for stopping by our Heirloom Seed Homestead!
Happy Planting!

-Mary

Comments

  1. Great idea. As I don't have a back yard, the only way I can have a "garden" is to get flower pots for my balconies. Sadly, I usually forget to water the plants and they never survive long...
    Thank you for joining The Really Crafty Link Party. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts