July 8 Homestead Update

It's HOT!  Welcome back to our SoCal Homestead.

This is one of our beds for our Grow Your Own Food in 100 Days or Less Series.  I'm already harvesting Zucchini and the Green Beans are almost ready!  It's been less than 60 days!


This past week we had record temps here.  It was brutal.  On Friday it reached 120 degrees.  I felt so bad for our flock but they survived.  I read many stories in local fb groups about losing birds to to heat so I was really concerned.

We don't raise frail birds.

I read a few of the suggestions in local fb groups about adding fans, misters, ice water and iced treats.  Some people even demanded that bringing the birds inside was the only way to keep them alive.  I just had to scroll on.  Seriously, we don't raise frail birds here.  They need to be tough to survive so there's no fans or misters.  We feed them a large frozen tray of water and veggies.  We make sure they have shade, food and water as well as the occasional dose of electrolytes to manage stress.  That's it.



The garden was a bit saggy and singed in places but so for it has survived.  I don't raise sissy plants.  If I can boost the plant's healthy with a dose of liquid fertilizer, I'll do it.  If they don't survive, they're pulled up and replaced with a hardier variety.

13 pounds of Heirloom Zucchini harvested this morning from only 2 plants

Borage is going to seed so we'll have LOTS of extra seeds for next season!

Thanks for joining me on our Heirloom Seed Homestead!
-Mary

Comments

Popular Posts